New Delhi: The country is shocked by the death of Chief of Defense Staff, General Bipin Rawat in a helicopter crash. The helicopter of the Indian Air Force in which 14 people, including General Rawat, his wife, crashed this afternoon in Tamil Nadu’s Nilgiri district. The Mi series helicopter took off from Sulur Army Base, shortly after it crashed in the Nilgiris. With this helicopter accident, the country lost a brave military officer in the form of General Bipin Rawat.
10 things related to General Bipin Rawat
- Before being appointed as CDS, General Bipin Rawat has also served as the Chief of Army Staff. He retired from the post of Army Chief, after which he was appointed CDS. The identity of General Bipin Rawat was such an officer, whoever got the responsibility from the country, he fulfilled it with full dedication and skill.
- Before being made CDS, Bipin Rawat had served as the 27th Chief of Army Staff. Before being made the Army Chief, he was appointed as the Deputy Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army on 1 September 2016.
- General Bipin Rawat is credited with playing an important role in reducing terrorism in Northeast India. The cross border operation that was conducted in Myanmar in the year 2015 was conducted under his supervision. In this operation, the army gave a befitting reply to the terrorists of NSCN-K.
- General Rawat was also part of the plan for the 2016 surgical strike in which the Indian Army went across the LoC to PoK and air strikes on a JeM terror camp in Pakistan’s Balakot.
- General Bipin Rawat was an alumnus of St. Edward’s School, Shimla, and the National Defense Academy, Khadkasala. He was commissioned into the 5th Battalion of the Eleven Gorkha Rifles from the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun in December 1978, where he was awarded the ‘Sword of Honour’.
- He had 10 years of experience working in counter-insurgency operations. Gen Rawat had experience in commanding high altitude combat zones, and counter-terrorism operations.
- Bipin Rawat commanded an infantry battalion in the eastern sector. He also commanded a Rashtriya Rifles sector and an infantry division in the Kashmir Valley.
- An alumnus of the Defense Services Staff College, Wellington and the National Defense College course, General Bipin Rawat served the nation for nearly four decades while in the Army. During this he was honored with UISM, AVSM, YSM, SM for gallantry and distinguished services.
- On the issue of national security, General Rawat wrote many articles which were published in various magazines and publications. He did his M.Phil degree in Defense Studies from Madras University.
- General Rawat had obtained a diploma in Management and Computer Studies. General Bipin Rawat completed his research on Military Media Strategic Studies and was awarded a Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) from Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut in 2011.